British father-of-two dies ‘after getting trapped in spa’ during blaze at five-star Marrakech hotel 

[ad_1]

British father-of-two dies ‘after getting trapped in spa’ during blaze at five-star Marrakech hotel

  • Fire understood to have ripped through the Jaal Riad Resort at 4pm Wednesday
  • 40-year-old father is reported to have been stuck in the hotel’s spa at the time

A British father-of-two has died after getting trapped in a spa during a blaze at a five-star hotel in Morocco, according to reports.

The fire is said to have ripped through the Jaal Riad Resort in Marrakech at around 4pm on Wednesday.

Emergency responders rushed to the luxury hotel but were unable to save the man, 40, who died from smoke inhalation, according to The Sun.

Sources told the publication that the late British father had been on holiday with friends and was in the hotel’s spa when the fire took hold.

‘It was a truly horrific incident,’ The Sun quoted one source as saying.

Sources told The Sun that the late British father had been on holiday with friends and was in the hotel's spa when the fire took hold. Pictured: An image of the hotel's spa

Sources told The Sun that the late British father had been on holiday with friends and was in the hotel’s spa when the fire took hold. Pictured: An image of the hotel’s spa

‘He was a tourist visiting the area with friends and they have had to break the news to his family. Everyone is heartbroken. They were in the spa when the fire happened and they were trapped,’ they said.

The newspaper reported that the hotel confirmed that a guest had died, but that its representative was unable to comment due to an on-going investigation into the incident. It added that the hotel has since reopened.

The British Foreign Office is believed to be supporting the family of a man who died in Morocco.

MailOnline has contacted the hotel for comment.

The Jaal Riad Resort’s website says it lies in the heart of Marrakech, and offers ‘several artistic and tourist activities for an exceptional experience.’ 

The Jaal Riad Resort's website says it lies in the heart of Marrakech (pictured, file photo), and offers 'several artistic and tourist activities for an exceptional experience'

The Jaal Riad Resort’s website says it lies in the heart of Marrakech (pictured, file photo), and offers ‘several artistic and tourist activities for an exceptional experience’

It also boasts of having a partnership with a 3,000 square-metre ‘wellness space’ across three floors, ‘because it is important to us to take care of you’.

The incident comes less than a year after a British woman plunged to her death as she and her climbing partner attempted to scale a 13,600ft mountain in Morocco.

The pair were climbing Mount Toubkal, North Africa’s highest peak, on October 25 when the incident occurred, according to local media.

See also  Prince Harry's ex-girlfriend Cressida Bonas enjoys a stroll with newborn son Wilbur James

Reports said the pair had chosen not to hire a guide, and that the woman fell ‘into a hole’ near the top of the mountain. She was seriously injured and died immediately, sources were quoted as saying at the time.

[ad_2]

Source link