Divine retribution! PRIEST runs over young robbery suspect who broke into his parish and stole three hooded sweatshirts and a t-shirt while he was officiating a wedding
- Father Gustavo Trindade was arrested and released after he was captured on video crashing his vehicle into a suspect who had robbed his church in Brazil
- The incident took place Saturday after the priest had married Tatiane de Fátima and Alex Aparecido at São Sebastião Church in São Paulo
- Suspect Angelo dos Santos broke into the parish house and stole three hoodies and a t-shirt and fled before Father Trindade deliberately mowed him down
- The priest fled the scene of the accident and spent two days on the run before he turned himself in to the authorities
- A judge rejected a police request to keep Father Trindade in custody because he did not pose a flight risk
- He is being investigated for an attempted murder charge and failing to provide assistance; his lawyers argued that he acted in self-defense
A priest accused of deliberately running over a suspected robber after officiating a wedding in the southeastern Brazilian state of São Paulo is under investigation.
Father Gustavo Trindade, 37, launched his vehicle into the thief, Angelo dos Santos, 40, who had allegedly stolen three hooded sweatshirts and a t-shirt from the São Sebastião Church’s parish house in the municipality of Santa Cruz Rio do Rio Pardo on Saturday.
A security camera captured the priest speeding down the street in a white sedan before jumping the sidewalk and plowing into the thief and building.
He subsequently reversed back into the avenue and sped away.
Father Gustavo Trindade (pictured) is being investigated by Brazilian authorities in the state of São Paulo for the attempted murder of Angelo dos Santos, a suspect who had stolen three hooded sweatshirts and a t-shirt from the São Sebastião Church’s parish house while the priest was celebrating a couple’s wedding Saturday
Security camera footage showed the priest speeding down the street in a white sedan before jumping the sidewalk and plowing into the thief and building
Dos Santos was arrested and taken to a nearby hospital, where he remained hospitalized until Monday.
Father Trindade was on the run until Wednesday when he appeared before the Santa Cruz Rio do Rio Pardo courthouse accompanied by two lawyers.
Judge Pedro de Castro rejected a Civil Police request to hold the priest in pre-trial detention, arguing that he was not a flight risk.
The incident certainly surprised Tatiane de Fátima and Alex Aparecido, who were married by Father Trindade, according to Brazilian news outlet G1.
De Fátima said the priest calmed her down while she waited to tie the knot with Aparecido, whom she had been in a relationship for three and a half years
Angelo dos Santos was arrested and taken to a nearby hospital, where he remained hospitalized until Monday
Father Gustavo Trindade (right) officiated the wedding of Tatiane de Fátima (left) and Alex Aparecido (center) moments before he mowed down a suspect identified as Angelo dos Santos
Tatiane de Fátima credited Father Gustavo Trindade with calming her nerves as she waited to marry her boyfriend Alex Aparecido before the priest launched his car into a suspect who had broken into the church’s parish house
‘Until then, I didn’t know him, but he was super attentive, he laughed, he joked with us before and during the ceremony,’ the bride said. ‘He told me to stay calm down, that I was supposed to breathe, that everything would work out. He was super calm.’
She added that most of the 100 guests had left the ceremony and she stuck around at the church to take additional photos when she learned of the accident without knowing that Father Trindade has been involved.
‘Whether you like it or not, this will end up marking the history of my wedding day,’ de Fátima said. ‘There’s no way around it.’