Suspended Man United footballer Mason Greenwood is set to become a father just weeks after hearing attempted rape and assault charges against him had been dropped – as club’s female stars air ‘concerns’ about his possible return
- Charges were dropped against Greenwood after ‘withdrawal of key witnesses’
- His family are said to be ‘looking forward’ to welcoming the couple’s child
Manchester United’s Mason Greenwood found it he will become a father for the first time just weeks after charges of attempted rape and assault against him were dropped.
The news comes as the club’s female stars have aired ‘concerns’ about the striker’s potential return. Greenwood has been suspended since January 2022.
The 21-year-old was charged with attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour and assault in October last year.
The charges were dropped earlier this month with the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) citing a ‘withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light’, developments that meant there was ‘no longer a realistic prospect of conviction’ They added that they had a ‘duty’ not to proceed with the case in such circumstances.
His family are said to be aware and ‘looking forward’ to welcoming the couple’s child in the summer, The Sun reported.
Mason Greenwood is reportedly set to become a father for the first time this year, just weeks after charges against him were dropped
The 21-year-old was suspended by the club last year pending an investigation into alleged attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour and assault
Greenwood last played played a football match against West Ham on January 22, 2022, but he has continued to earn £75,000 a week since then. He is contracted until 2025.
While United are conducting their own investigation, the men’s senior squad are said to be split over whether or not the former academy starlet should be allowed to return.
The report states that some of the members of the squad harbour concerns about his return, while some possess no objections to Greenwood being welcomed back.
Among the women’s squad, who share the Carrington base with the men, players are said to be deeply concerned about Greenwood returning.
A source told The Sun: ‘If Mason does come back, it is inconceivable that he would not have any contact with any of the women’s team.
‘Everyone at the club is very aware of what was alleged at the time of his arrest.’
Greenwood remains prohibited from training or playing for the club while this process is ongoing. It is reported that it could stretch on for months.
Natalie Burrell, founder of United Women’s Supporters’ Club, told The Sun: ‘United need to make a statement and letting him back would be the worst thing they could do.
‘I don’t want to see him training, in a kit, or coming out at Old Trafford again. And I’m confident they won’t (let him).’
The women’s squad are said to be uneasy about the prospect of Greenwood returning
It is reported that some commercial partners also harbour reservations about him being brought back.
The player released a statement after the CPS announced their decision, writing: ‘I am relieved that this matter is now over and I would like to thank my family, loved ones and friends for their support. There will be no further comment at this time.’
United remained tight-lipped over their next steps in the days and weeks following the decision by the CPS.
Erik ten Hag, asked about the case of Greenwood in his press conference the day after the charges were dropped, referred people to the statement put out by the club.
‘I can’t add anything, I refer to the statement of the club,’ he said.