Wild moment Christian protesters violently clash with LGBTQ activists as 500 people descend on a church where Mark Latham was due to give a speech – with riot squads called in

  • Violence erupts outside church where Mark Latham spoke 
  • About 500 Christian Lives Matter follows clashed with LGBTQ protesters
  • A cameraman was pushed to the ground 

As many as 500 Christian protestors violently clashed with a LGBTQ activist group outside a church where Mark Latham was speaking – with two people taken away in handcuffs.

The New South Wales One Nation leader spoke about religious and parental rights at the St Michaels church in Belfield, south-west Sydney on Tuesday, ahead of Saturday’s state election.

A group of about 15 members from the Community Action for Rainbow Rights had arrived at the church to protest against a supposedly ‘anti-trans’ speech Mr Latham was due to give.

But instead they were met by a mob of Christian Lives Matter followers, who they claim threw rocks and bottles at them.

See also  Murderer released from jail to fight for Putin's Wagner thugs is beaten to death with a sledgehammer

Police said the large crowd were also hurling glass bottles at officers, with one constable taken to the Canterbury Hospital with cuts to his hand.

The terrifying clash was captured on film and shows the Christian group shouting abuse at the activists.

At one stage a man is seen throwing a punch into the crowd, only for it to connect with the back of a woman’s head.

She is then heard screaming and crying as a friend wraps his arm around her.

Mr Latham addressed the event on Tuesday night and said police had advised him not to speak.

‘To not give my speech, to go straight home would have allowed the transgender protesters to cancel my free speech and democratic rights as an election candidate, things that are sacred to me and have been for 35 years in running for elections, local, Federal and State,’ he tweeted.

‘I didn’t see what happened on the front street but I sincerely convey my best wishes to those injured and thank the police officers involved for their work. No one should take the law into their own hands. Violence at political events is wrong.’

Mr Latham stressed he didn’t organise the event but was invited to speak. 

Speaking to 2GB on Wednesday morning, Mr Latham said politicians should be allowed to speak without groups blocking roads and access to the church.

At another moment during the chaos, a cameraman was shoved to the ground by a Christian protestor as he tried to make his way through the crowd. 

‘Get the f*** out of here’ a large man screams before lashing out.

He is then pushed again by another man before slamming to the ground as a swarm of men stand over him in a circle.  

Community Action for Rainbow Rights claimed their members were viciously attacked by the religious mob.

‘Hundreds of violent far right thugs attacked a small peaceful speak out of LGBTI+ activists with glass bottles, rocks and their fists,’ the group wrote on Facebook.

‘Several people were punched in the face multiple times and hit with rocks and bottles as they were surrounded by a mob 30 times their size.

'Get the f*** out of here' a large man screams before lashing out (pictured)

 ‘Get the f*** out of here’ a large man screams before lashing out (pictured)

‘This is a disgusting and violent escalation by the anti-LGBTI+ far-right protesters.’

The NSW Police riot squad eventually had to be called in, with a 34-year-old man arrested and charged with encouraging the commission of crimes.

He was given conditional bail to appear before Bankstown Local Court on April 11. 

A 41-year-old man was arrested and charged with common assault. He was given a court attendance notice to appear before Bankstown Local Court on May 30.

Anyone with vision or information into the brawl are urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1300 333 000. 

Shortly after he ugly scenes, Mark Latham denounced the 'violent' behaviour

Shortly after he ugly scenes, Mark Latham denounced the ‘violent’ behaviour


Source link