Health coach shares how to make a delicious Subway-inspired meatball melt with HALF the calories: ‘This is so delicious I need it in my life’
- Fitness coach shared a recipe for high-protein low-carb meatball melt sandwich
- Bec Hardgrave, from Brisbane, used healthier alternatives for the classic meal
- Ingredients include lean beef mince, tomato pasta sauce, Jarlsberg lite cheese
- Hundreds gushed over Bec’s delicious low-calorie version of the Subway dish
A fitness coach has shared a quick and easy recipe for a delicious homemade Subway-style meatball melt.
Bec’s version contains just 421 calories, whereas the standard Subway meal is 805 calories.
Scroll down for video
A fitness coach has shared a quick and easy recipe for a delicious homemade Subway-style meatball melt with just 421 calories
‘You know what’s perfect on a cold, rainy, miserable day?’ she asked her almost 100k Instagram followers.
Bec was quick to answer her own question. ‘A homemade Subway meatball melt!’
The ingredients required are lean beef mince, tomato pasta sauce, a hotdog roll, and Jarlsberg lite cheese slices.
Bec also recommends adding seasonings like Italian herbs, salt, and pepper to taste – along with vegetables of your choosing.
Bec first added 120g of the lean beef mince, 1tsp of Italian herbs, and 1tsp of salt to a bowl before kneading the mixture by hand and moulding it into little balls
Bec first added 120g of the lean beef mince, 1tsp of Italian herbs, and 1tsp of salt to a bowl before kneading the mixture by hand and moulding it into little balls.
She then added the meatballs to a fry pan and sautéed them with 50g of tomato, garlic, and herb pasta sauce until they were sizzling.
After, she cut a hotdog roll in half and added in spinach, the meatballs, and topped it off with two slices of Jarlsberg lite cheese.
The meatball melt contains 12g fat and 34g carbohydrates with a hefty 40g protein.
After the meatballs were cooked sufficiently, she cut a hotdog roll in half and added in spinach, the meatballs, and topped it off with two slices of Jarlsberg lite cheese
Bec’s video has received over 100,000 views across TikTok and Instagram and hundreds of comments.
‘This is amazing,’ said one woman. ‘I always see my friends enjoying Subway but it is unfortunately not halal.’
She added, ‘Thanks for recipe! I am going to DIY my Subway sandwiches and take them out with me.’
‘Meatball subs are my guilty food of choice – but with this recipe I don’t have to feel guilty anymore,’ said another.
A third added, ‘You make it look so easy! I’m definitely trying this today.’
‘I wish this is what mum meant whenever she said we have food at home.’
How to make Bac’s low calorie meatball melt
- 120g lean beef mince
- 1tsp Italian herbs
- 1tsp salt
- 50g tomato, garlic, and basil pasta sauce
- 1 hotdog roll
- 2 Jarlsberg lite cheese slices
- Vegetables to taste
- Add lean beef mince, Italian herbs, and salt to a bowl and knead with hands until soft
- Mould the mixture into meatballs
- Add the meatballs to the fry pan and top it with pasta sauce and fry until sizzling
- Cut the hotdog bun in half and add vegetables to taste, the meatballs, and top it off with two Jarlsberg cheese slices
- 421 calories
- 12g fat
- 34g carbohydrates
- 40g protein