Ex-career criminal reveals why Jarryd Hayne will have to watch his back in prison after his rape conviction – but says one group on the inside will give the fallen footy icon ‘rock star status’
- Russell Manser explained what awaits Jarryd Hayne
- Manser committed spate of Sydney bank robberies in 1990s
- Told his TikTok followers Hayne will have a target on his head
Former Sydney career criminal Russell Manser has claimed Jarryd Hayne will have to tread carefully in jail following his rape conviction, predicting the NRL star will face a nasty reception from other inmates.
The one-time Parramatta Eels fullback was found guilty by a 12-person jury of sexual assault in the NSW District Court on April 4 and is awaiting sentencing.
It was the third trial after Hayne’s first stint in a Newcastle court room ended in a hung jury, and his second appearance saw the 35-year-old jailed for five years and nine months.
Hayne then successfully appealed, sparking a third trial in which he again faced allegations of assaulting a woman in her Fletcher home on the outskirts of Newcastle, north of Sydney, on the night of the 2018 NRL grand final.
Manser, who committed a spate of bank robberies in the early 1990s which resulted in numerous jail stints, told his TikTok followers Hayne should expect a torrid welcome behind bars.
Former Sydney career criminal Russell Manser has revealed prisoners and guards will treat fallen NRL star Jarryd Hayne very differently following his rape conviction
Hayne was convicted in his third trial for sexual assault and is awaiting sentencing
‘He will get rock star status from the [correctional] officers, but the mainstream inmates will give it to him,’ he said.
‘They will deadset pelt things at him and bash him if they have an opportunity to do so … he will be no different to anyone else.
‘If someone gets a chance to attack him, they will because of his profile. Someone will be trying to get a notch on their belt.
‘That was proven when he spent time at Parklea [prison] and they pelted apples at him.’
Based on his own experiences as an inmate, Manser expects Hayne to be sent back to the Cooma Correctional Centre, south of Canberra, where he will be placed in protective custody.
The two-time Dally M Medal winner served nine months at the facility before he was released in February last year.
Hayne is then expected to be housed at Long Bay in Sydney’s east, where he will be required to complete a mandatory course following his conviction for rape.
Manser went onto describe the appeal process for Hayne as ‘arduous’ and believes it will take at least 12 to 18 months.
Hayne’s wife Amellia Bonnici (pictured together) cried in the court when the guilty verdict was handed down on April 4
The Dally M-winner shook his head when the verdict was delivered in the NSW District Court
He expects Hayne to end up ‘stone motherless broke’ given his massive legal fees.
On April 4, Hayne was found guilty of two counts of sexual intercourse without consent following 21 hours of deliberations over six days.
Hayne pledged to appeal against the verdicts when he spoke to reporters outside Sydney’s Downing Centre District Court and became angry when asked if he had any remorse.
‘Sorry?’ he asked, before a reporter asked: ‘Do you have any remorse, Jarryd?’
The footy star then replied: ‘For telling the truth?’
When a Nine News reporter pointed out Hayne had now twice been found guilty of rape, he cut her off with an outburst.
‘Did I lie? Did I lie? Did I lie?’ he said. ‘That’s factual evidence.’
Earlier, Hayne had tears in his eyes when he said he was ‘devastated’ by the result.
‘I’m going to keep standing for the truth,’ he said, adding he maintained his innocence ‘100 per cent’.
‘I never lied to police, I never deleted evidence, I never hid witnesses – you do the math,’ Hayne said.
Hayne is facing a maximum sentence of 14 years behind bars.