Did Dua Lipa’s father try to get the chart-topping star to play at the Qatar World Cup – as she hit out at its anti-gay laws?

When pop queen Dua Lipa shut down rumours that she was to perform in Qatar, her duet partner and LGBT champion Sir Elton John no doubt applauded.

Yet emails suggest her manager father, Dukagjin Lipa, had been negotiating with the Qataris for two years to get the chart-topping star to play at the World Cup.

The documents detail how the singer’s Kosovo-born father, known as Dugi, first approached Qatar’s World Cup organising body, the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy, in 2020.

Last night the 53-year-old, who runs the communications agency Republika, said his daughter was not aware of his contact with the Qataris.

When pop queen Dua Lipa shut down rumours that she was to perform in Qatar, her duet partner and LGBT champion Sir Elton John no doubt applauded. Yet emails reveal her manager father, Dukagjin Lipa, had been negotiating with the Qataris for two years to get the chart-topping star to play at the World Cup

In his initial email on March 9, 2020, he wrote: ‘I represent my daughter, the artist Dua Lipa, and I am keen to discuss with the Supreme Committee plans for artist performances for Qatar World Cup 2022.’

In January 2021, he wrote: ‘I just wanted to follow up on my previous email and was wondering whether it would be possible for us to discuss any opportunity arising where we can be of help?

‘We recently streamed a live performance of tracks from Dua’s new album as well as appearances by other artists which had 5 million viewers, which was the largest ever globally for a live-stream event.’ A committee member replied: ‘It is fantastic to hear from you and know that with Dua being put forward it is backed by the knowledge that she is also interested.’

The documents detail how the singer’s Kosovo-born father, known as Dugi, first approached Qatar’s World Cup organising body, the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy, in 2020

The documents detail how the singer’s Kosovo-born father, known as Dugi, first approached Qatar’s World Cup organising body, the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy, in 2020

By April that year, Mr Lipa expressed his anxiety about the negotiations, saying: ‘I was approached… with a specific request for Dua Lipa and the opening ceremony and I wanted to touch base with you regarding this and making sure that we are not talking to the wrong person.’

The revelations come after London-born Dua Lipa’s recent statement, released to her 87 million followers on Instagram, claiming that a performance at the Qatar tournament was never on the cards.

Last month the 27-year-old singer said: ‘There is currently a lot of speculation that I will be performing at the opening ceremony of the World Cup in Qatar. I will not be performing and nor have I ever been involved in any negotiation to perform.’

Her comments were applauded by human rights campaigners, after controversy surrounded the football tournament over Qatar’s treatment of migrant workers and criminalisation of same-sex relationships. In an interview last week with Variety, the Cold Heart singer – who recently duetted with Sir Elton on stage in Los Angeles – said the Qatar event ‘goes against [her] beliefs’.

The Mail on Sunday’s revelations cast doubt on London-born Dua Lipa’s recent statement, released to her 87 million followers on Instagram, claiming a performance at the Qatar tournament was never on the cards

The Mail on Sunday’s revelations cast doubt on London-born Dua Lipa’s recent statement, released to her 87 million followers on Instagram, claiming a performance at the Qatar tournament was never on the cards

Last night her father said: ‘In 2020 I had several email exchanges with the Qatari World Cup marketing team in my personal capacity as a festival organiser.

‘Dua was not involved or aware of those exchanges or any other conversations. When I introduced myself, I gave them my full background which included my representation of Dua. But I clarified that I was not speaking to them with her in mind and made that very clear when they asked me whether my enquiries were about Dua.

‘This was in early 2021, at a time when Qatar had made several pledges (since winning the World Cup contract) to reform their labour laws and make amends to their human rights record. As the conversation went on and the World Cup got closer, it became very clear that these pledges were not going to be honoured so I stopped talking to them. Since then I have been approached by several people connected with the Qatar World Cup to whom I made very clear that Dua would NOT be involved.’

Advertisement



Source link